Friday, November 28, 2008

(my new love) David Hillard

(Boys Tethered-2008)
Really breath taking work.




My first reaction to his work was just to slowly click and re click through all of the images. I found myself disappointed when I reached the end of his work on his website. I didn't want to stop discovering it. His work is subtle but each element is composed eloquently. There is so much poise and contemplation evident in the images. It interested me that this photographer had such a seemingly simple visual vocabulary that he had used to build a congruent and psychological body of work.




I love the way David Hillard extends our perspective by using multiple images to create a panoramic shot. I feel oddly like life might be in panoramic. As though all the extra details from the multiple frames rendered life with a fuller perspective. His use of the ordinary conveyed great intimacy and emotional depth. Another exquisite aspect of his work is his use of available light. It highlights the feeling of the shot while still falling in the realm of completely natural. I feel inspired to work more with sunlight.


www.davidhilliard.com/

No comments: