Sunday, November 9, 2008

Laetitia Sonami

Last week I saw installation artist/composer/performer Laetitia Sonami speak and demonstrate her lady's glove. The glove is an evening-style lady's glove that is wired with sensors that feed into a Midi processor loaded with sound programs and sample, and which she plays as an instrument. It was great to see an artist speak specifically about one project - she has been working with the lady's glove since the 90s. She said that she gets a lot of negative reactions from other artists and critics about having spent so long on one concept/project -- which I thought was interesting to consider at a time when most artists or musicians move from piece to piece within the space of a year or two, usually. She said "People always ask me, oh are you STILL doing that glove thing?' and I say 'yeah- are you STILL playing the piano' (or painting, or using the same camera, etc...)

I also enjoyed her discussion of two installations, both of which I'd coincidentally seen in the Bay Area in the past few years -- "Bags", at New Langton Arts, and "Sounds of War," at YBCA.
check her out: http://www.sonami.net/

No comments: