Friday, November 7, 2008

49 Geary!



I went to 49 Geary a couple of weeks ago. At the Mark Wolfe Contemporary Art Gallery there was a show with some of Jeremy Mora's sculptures up. He uses "humble" materials (foam, sand paper, teeny tiny miniature things) to create these miniature environments that address the juxtaposition between nature and culture. He draws his inspiration from the miniature things like doll houses, bonsai, and models because they all have the same status as being environments that humans have complete control over nature. The sculptures are very small, but extremely interesting to look at, they have many layers. An example would be a tiny little plastic person ( smaller than a fly) on top of layers that reference the layers of the earths surface. Some were right in the middle of the room on the floor going up quit high and some were coming out of the wall. I thought it was a beautiful set up. But with that maybe there wasn't so many pieces, they all began to look the same after a while. 
I just liked how he took the idea of a humans actual size on our planet in comparison to how big we really think we are. This also goes along with my personal love for paleontology and paleobiology. When I remember how small I really am, and how short my life really is in the timeline of all things I feel more at ease to take risks and do as I please.. especially in terms of making art. Its strange but very inspiring. I also respected the fact that he used simple materials -seemingly valueless materials to illustrate a complex idea.  If anyone got a chance to see it I'd like to know what you thought! Have a great weekend everyone! 


pS.  
Prop 8 Protest tonight in San Francisco at 5:30 at civic center to the castro ending at Dolores park. Be there or be lame. Cheers!

No comments: