Thursday, November 20, 2008

Banned & Recovered: Artists Respond to Censorship

This past Thursday I went with my Book Arts class to the African American Museum in Oakland to see the exhibition, Banned & Recovered: Artists Respond to Censorship.  I really enjoyed looking at the work and the artist insperation because it dealt with censorship.  Specifically banned books (of which I have an interest in).  Hence most of the pieced where a form of "book art".  Not only did the show address issues of censorship but also brought up the question of what is "book arts" or more specifically "what is a book"?  For example my teacher had a project in the show that was a cabin that you go into and read from a newspaper.  She later asked if we thought her piece was a form of book art.  I can't say i have a definite answer to it but I'm going to say yes because it involved a idea/story that was tactile. 

I only wished I could have stayed longer because I do not feel I got to finish looking at all the pieces thoroughly.

No comments: