Friday, September 26, 2008

Rajkamal Kahlon Lecture at CCAc


I went to CCac last night to see Rajkamal Kahlon give a lecture on some of her work. 
She addresses racial and colonial authority and in this lecture she spoke about a series that she did which consisted of a 1200 pages of the historical text, Cassels illustrated History of India where she painted over 1100 of pages. She referenced 9/11 as an emotional starting point for a lot of her work and mentioned interesting points about physical reactions to art work and world events. I appreciated how she spoke and delivered the lecture and especially how she talked about her own work. The concept of disgust and attraction was a frequent part of the discussion and over all I found the lecture really inspiring. 

Something that stood out to me that she talked about was her time in College and how structured the environment was. She went on to explain her decision to really privilege her intuition in art making before worrying so much about critiques. This I feel is a very good piece of thought, for me especially because I do sometimes worry so much about critiques and putting myself out there that i will set my intuition aside and go for something more "presentable". If that makes sense. I'm sure that a lot of artists feel that way. And I felt a strong sense of encouragement to privilege my own intuition, at all times. 
Anyhow, this is a long blog and I'll end it here. Even though I could go on for another hour I'll spare you all. 

No comments: