Friday, October 3, 2008

"I Feel I Am Free But I Know I Am Not"

I went to a show last night at SF CAMERAWORK. The art performance aspect of this show was very voyeuristic and engaging, like observing someones private sadistic identity and seeing them project it onto others. But at the same time, it was very similar to going to the mall and getting a photo with Santa around the holidays. 
Guillermo Gomez-Pena was the main artist featured with the performance group La Pocha Nostra. There was a lot of drinking of beer and champagne  to set the mood and parts of the gallery felt like a real photo shoot, except the photographer was wearing a metal kilt and almost nothing else and there was a large audience just staring. The idea of art being a commodity is kind of felt here, with the performance group posing the question of what will sell my art? Sex, gender, S&M and ethnic identity are experimented with and blurred to challenge the post-modern connection between viewer and art. 

1 comment:

dvisser said...

Interesting observations about the show - I hadn't heard about it and am glad to know what it's about.
Nice job.
dv