Friday, December 5, 2008

Favianna Rodriguez DVD

I am SO bummed that I missed the lecture! But I'm so glad that I was able to watch it on that dvd. The entire time I was nodding my head in agreement and was so into what she was talking about that I didn't even write any notes. I was told by a few people that I would really like her work and her ideas and style, and I was blown away with her art and its amazing connection to social justice resistance and education. She was so fluid with her transition between topics and spoke in a way that was easy to understand. It was apparent in her presentation that her art and ideas is for everyone and the fact that her art is not elitist or exclusive really echos in me. Favianna is articulate and seems like she would be a fun person to collaborate or work with. 

In the lecture she brought up the topic of the difference (if there is one) between art and propaganda. I thought it was a really interesting since i was asking similar questions when we were doing the propaganda posters. For me, successful art is when a piece is both aesthetically appealing and conceptually solid. It isn't an easy thing to balance most of the time and finding the equilibrium between the two is worth it in the end. Her work I feel takes both of those parts and puts it into a harmonious and fruitful relationship. 

I am definitely going to check out her upcoming events and keep looking at her work. Most inspiring! Thanks for the dvd! 

No comments: