Friday, October 24, 2008

Lecture



So back in the beginning of this month I went to listen to Adrienne Salinger talk at the Danforth Lecture Hall. I thought she was very entertaining and funny, although she did go off tangents several times during her lecture. Her work was amazing, and she is very famous for it. I thought the fact that her book photographs of teenagers and their rooms are actually used by TV show people to design rooms on their shows. That's pretty cool! I was very intrigued by her teenage work, because I remember she said something about how the teenagers are shot to seem like they are just looming and watching over their room.

What I noticed a lot about her work is that it deals a lot with individuality and being your own person and having your own things. It's a thread that I noticed in the work she presented. Especially in the works she did of objects {tooth, glove, self help). The items were similar in the group, but all looked so different, because they belonged to different people. I loved that about her photos!

Another interesting thing is the Middle Aged Men project. She talked about how these men would just come into her house to be photographed and they ranged from convicts, to professionals. It was strange, but very very interesting!

No comments: